[r-t] Method difficulty

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Wed Mar 9 10:52:46 UTC 2005

It's an interesting question.  To a first-order approximation, I (and
I'm sure I'm not the first) would look at the number of changes of
direction, not counting dodges.  Eg a 5-pull dodge does not count as
multiple changes of direction.

The problem is you've also got other bits of work which don't really
constitute changes of direction, eg Cambridge places.  Indeed, the only
real changes of direction in Cambridge are when bells turn around at the
front/back.  I think Richard Smith has proposed using the Fibonacci
sequence to take account of these 'longer-range' effects.

There are many other factors too, such as whether a method is
right-place (or predominately so), etc.  Cornwall might have relatively
many changes of direction, but I would categorise it as one of the
easier t.d. major methods.

I think it would be hard to come up with some proposals that work with
every (or even most) methods - some methods can become a lot easier
depending on the 'algorithms' that can be used to ring them.

I'll think a bit more about it.  I wonder whether it can be possible to
rank certain sections of notation by difficulty, or perhaps factor in
whether sections are symmetric (this would be quite interesting, I
think).