[r-t] Method difficulty

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Mar 13 00:28:59 UTC 2005

I think Belfast-above is easier than Glasgow-above, but maybe Belfast-below
is harder than Glasgow-below.

Certainly Belfast has a very pleasant and regular above-work. This also
makes it easy to splice. Glasgow on the other hand is a nightmare to splice,
due to the 36 place notation adjacent to the lead. It's best appreciated
when ringing with one of those conductors who doesn't actually announce the
method until the handstroke after the leadhead - and especially good if
you're on the tenor, it goes like a pig, and you're somewhere near
4th's-6th's place bell.

Peter King writes,

> yet in many senses Cambridge is relatively easier on higher numbers
> as the underlying structure becomes more apparaent.

It gets much harder to strike, though, due to the coursing music being
cocked about under the treble.

Academic, really, as I don't think the method gets rung these days on higher
numbers, does it. :-O