[r-t] Little bell rollups in caters and cinques

Ian Partridge ipartridge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:27:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:15:49 -0500, Don Morrison <dfmorrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many folks seem to prefer 3456s and 6543s in royal, and 2345s and
> 5432s in maximus, apparently based on the musical intervals involved.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions, ideally founded on practical experience
> of ringing things containing them, about little bell rollups in caters
> and cinques, rung with a cover? Are particular choices of little bells
> likely to be preferable? Are one of ascending or descending rollups
> more ear pleasing?

Personally I think Caters/Royal go together (3456s) and
Cinques/Maximum go together (2345s). The tonic remains the same in the
pairs - the fact that there's a tenor behind doesn't alter which runs
sound best.

For those wondering why 3456 is better in Royal than 2345, it's
because 3 is the tonic (an octave above the tenor), and runs which
start or finish on the tonic sound nice.

--
Ian Partridge