'London' S Major long length (was: Re: [r-t] Methods Committee)

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue May 31 10:28:23 UTC 2005

Chris Poole wrote:

> What's the composition?

As it's now been published in the Ringing World, I don't
imagine anyone will object to me posting Brian Price's
description of it here.

A potential controversy lies in the fact that it is not all
the work.  Neither the 7 nor 8 ring the whole of the
method: the tenor never rings the second half of 4ths
place bell; the seventh never rings the first half of 2nds
place bell.

Richard

             17,280  LONDON SURPRISE MAJOR

               Composed by Brian D Price

The peal consists of a basic 9-lead block produced by
fourths place bobs at In and Wrong, plus 1678 half-lead
singles at 2½ and 6½ as shown below:

  2345678
  -----------------------
  4263857
  6482735
            s  2½  (1678)
  8643257   -  In    (14)
  4826735
  2478563
  5724386   -  W     (14)
            s  6½  (1678)
  5728463
  2547386
  4235678
  -----------------------

The two tenors are coursing undisturbed for 5/9ths of each
block, but they don't ring all-the-work; the 7th is never
2nds place bell for a first half- lead and the 8th is never
4ths place bell for a second half-lead.

Repeating this block 11 times, either as above or with
additional fourths place bobs at the lead end, produces a
part which is 3,456 changes long.  A 5-part format that
introduces just one sixths place bob per part produces the
record length of 17,280 changes, with all 144cru's and 24
5678's:

  M  H  23456
  -----------
        42356
  -     63254
        26354
        32654
  -     46253
     -  62453
  -     34256
  -  *  46325
  -     53624
        65324
        36524
  -     45623
  -----------
  5 part

  * is a sixths place bob

The second lead, with a 1678 single at 2½ and a 14 bob at In
is shown below:

  16482735
  --------
  61428375
  16243857
  61234587
  62135478
  26314587
  26135478
  62314587
  26341857
  23648175
  32461857
  34268175
  43628715
  46382751
  64837215   s 2½  (1678)
  68473251
  64837251
  68473215
  86742351
  87624315
  78264135
  72861453
  27684135
  26781453
  62718543
  26175834
  26718543
  62175834
  61278543
  16287453
  61824735   - In    (14)
  16842375
  18643257
  --------

The sixth lead, with a 1678 single at 6½ is shown below:

  15724386
  --------
  51742836
  15478263
  51487623
  54186732
  45817623
  45186732
  54817623
  45871263
  48572136
  84751263
  87452136
  78542316
  75824361
  57283416   s 6½  (1678)
  52738461
  57283461
  52738416
  25374861
  23547816
  32457186
  34251768
  43527186
  45321768
  54312678
  45136287
  45312678
  54136287
  51432678
  15423768
  51247386
  15274836
  15728463
  --------

The eighth block contains two additional calls, a 14 bob at
Middle and a 16 bob at Home:

  3425678
  ----------------------
  6234857   - M     (14)