'London' S Major long length (was: Re: [r-t] Methods Committee)

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue May 31 10:53:10 UTC 2005

Ben Willetts wrote:

> I'm not quite sure why some people are objecting to this.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it isn't a legal peal
of London according to the Decisions.  As you correctly
point out, there is no requirement for peals to be atw, nor
is there a prohibition of half-lead calls.  However, I think
some people feel that what they rang wasn't really London.

To take a more extreme example, there is a 40,320 of
Yorkshire, I think by Colin Wyld.  As I recall, this
composition has a half-lead single at every half-lead.  Is
this still Yorkshire?

I would argue that it is not, though the Decisions are clear
-- if a band rang it, they would be perfectly entitled to
describe it as Yorkshire.  (Equally, they could quite
legitimately describe it as Original, or even Bristol, with
a bewildering array of different calls.)

Richard