[r-t] Variable hunt treble-dodging minor

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Tue Nov 22 00:49:29 UTC 2005

A couple of years ago Richard Smith was interested in ringing a
treble-dodging minor method with a variable hunt-bell, which was
all-the-work for all six bells.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he thought the only way
this was possible was ny using Hudson's group
(http://www.ringing.info/bdp/peals-in-parts/parts-1.html).

Richard trawled through the options, and found that the only possible
treble-dodging minor methods had at least three consecutive blows in one
place.  We rang one of these, a rather nice London-over delight method, at
the beginning of 2004, and called it Hudson Delight Minor (3-3.4-2-1.4-4.5
lh2). The footnote said "This method gives all the work for all bells when
rung with variable treble. Believed to be the first treble dodging method
with this property to be rung"
(http://www.campanophile.co.uk/show.html?Code=16251)

Some further methods with different treble-paths that Richard came up with
can be seen at http://ringing.8bit.co.uk/hudson7.pdf

Now fast-forward to this evening.  I saw for the first time a copy of
Jonathan Deane's 1993 book "Minor Curiosities". There's lots of very
interesting stuff here, including a whole chapter on 'variable hunt'.  The
book introduces Disley Delight (Oxford over Bourne, a &-34-1-2-3-34-3),
previously noted only for being possibly the most unmusical out of all of
the regular 147 treble-dodging minor methods, as well as one of Glint's
favourite minor methods. Anyway, I quote:

"Here is a useful fact to slot into the conversation at a dinner party:
Disley & Minster Bob are the only two out of the 2400 treble-dodging minor
methods that exist, which give the extent when rung variable hunt.  To be
pedantic, New Snowdrop (-34-1-5-1.34-34.1, le14) and Tuxford
(-34-1-2-1.34-34.1 le14) Treble Bob will also give the extent, using 16 (B),
36(S), but only with the tenor treble-bobbing throughout. Ringing that and
calling it variable hunt would be cheating though, wouldn't it?"

Minster Bob is just Disley with a -5- section replacing the -2-. The
composition given for Disley (which is obviously atw) uses 14 bobs and 36
singles, and is:

  123456
  ------
S 312456
  325164
- 325641
- 325416
  351264
S 135264
  ------
5-part

So my question is, how do these extents work?