[r-t] Attribution (was Seven Deadly Sins)

Hayden Charles hcharles at grandsire.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 23:24:53 UTC 2005

I probably don't need to remind people here that this is not such a
recent problem:

'And now the question arises -- Can originality be maintained in the
case of peal compositions, or must they, too, be considered as, so to
speak, common property? Personally, I think that the time will come when
the idea that every composition has a composer who has the right to put
his name to it will have to be dropped.'

J. A. Trollope 'Variation and Transposition'

Text at http://www.ringing.info/v-and-t.html

On the other hand, Trollope's closing sentence is, 'Of course, when a
man is able to get something really new like Mr. Law James's Spliced
Surprise he is entitled to call it his own and to have all the credit
for it.'

Hayden Charles