[r-t] Extension (was Yorkshire Alliance)

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Apr 10 09:39:51 UTC 2006

Robin, you've managed to prod the stick hard enough to provoke me into
writing something again.

It looks like you are sharing my view that the current Decisions on
extension don't work.  Whilst the existing Decisions do provide a
framework for extending 'normal' treble-dodging methods (though they
suffer from a critical flaw, as detailed below), they don't really work
for principles, for plain methods, for alliance methods, for
treble-place methods and for any little methods.

Methods can be so diverse that I would go so far as to say that it's not
possible to have any consistent rules on extension that work in all
cases. So that's why I think there's no point in having any formal
'rules' at all.  The only constraint I would impose is that an extension
can only be refused if the Council believes that it is not an 'honest'
attempt to extend an existing method.  It's hard to define 'honest', but
what I'm getting at is ringing Cambridge 22 but trying to call it
Bristol.

The problems with the current rules for non treble-dodging methods are
well documented (eg plain bob extending to grandsire, etc, not allowing
different number of changes in the lead, etc). However, I think the
rules for extending treble-dodging methods are also up the creek.

Why?  Well, there is an inbuilt 'prejudice' into the Decisions, one
factor that trumps all others, and that says that a method with regular
leadheads has to extend so that extension also has regular leadheads.
Why?  It seems fairly obvious that the extension of Ipswich minor to 8
bells should be Cambridge major with a 18 halflead.  Similarly, the
extension of London major to royal is clearly
&3-3.4-2-3.4-4.5.6-6.7.8-8.7, 2

Now you are on the Methods Committee of the Central Council.  You're
therefore well-placed to support the case for change and liberalising
method extension.  What's preventing you?