[r-t] Spliced TB Major

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 12 12:20:12 UTC 2006

Since it was my composition I can provide some sort of an answer.

A couple of years ago we rang a peal of 45 atw plain major. In the pub after one of the failed attempts someone mentioned that there were no "interesting" TB major methods so I decided to put together a composition of 23 atw and to make it more of a challenge I decided on several criteria i) to use all the le/lh groups ii) each lead different iii) all the work above and below the treble to be wrong place (although not necessarily for each place bell). Of course there are still a huge number of potential methods so I then just used arbitrary criteria such as whether or not I liked particular features of blue line (for example pivot bell in Evil is quite pleasing). I'm sure I could have chosen another set of entirely arbitrary methods.

At the time this was an academic exercise but someone suggested ringing it so a band was put together and we tried. However, it proved very much harder than you might have thought (for a very strong band). Largely because many of the features of surprise methods are simply missing. If you write down the bare bones of what the TB structure enforces you can see that things like double dodges (except at lead end or half lead) are missing, as are fish tails, yorkshire places etc. Se we had some build up peals (of which the one published has to date been the only succesful one, hoepfully in some weeks you will read about the completed project!

The names arose because originally I just used A, B C etc as method names in the trial compositions. If you look at rung TB major methods there were a number of adjectives like Wonderful or Noxious or Egregious and so on so I simply used names starting with the appropriate letter. This turned out not to be such a brilliant idea as it would have helped if the name reflected the le, but there we go, having chosen some names it is very hard to unlearn them and then relearn as soemthing else. (I can't really remember why I kept Easton Neston & Blue Nile as the m types, other than I quite liked the look of them).

As to Very Easy. Well in one of the build up peal compositions (which were cosntructed to reflect as much of the full 23 as possible) I needed an m type method. The only one I could fit was Bristol S (I am sure there are others but the only one that didn't require learning). This I thought was unsatisfactory so I looked at unrung TB methods and this is what I came up with. Having got to V in the alphabet & because it is, in comparison with the other methods, I chose Very Easy. I was aware or Writtle Minor but assumed that it would extend to 34-34.18-12-18-12-18.34.12.34.18 and I haven't received any missives from the methods committee so I presume I was right.

I hope this explains all. As with most things it seemed like a good idea at the time. If I told the full story about the peal then you would appreciate that it possibly wasn't (although it has been enormous fun and a very major challenge - at least for me!).

Peter