[r-t] Calling Positions

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Fri Aug 4 09:37:34 UTC 2006

PS (to my last)

Eddie also reminds us about 'course-' and 'after-bell'. I remember being
told to look for these when I was starting to learn change ringing - but, of
course, as I mentioned yesterday, almost in  the same breath one was told
not to ring by numbers. The real truth here is that both strategies need to
be used.

I remember years ago hearing that if a number of objects is thrown down in
front of you, one doesn't count if there are five or less - the total is
instinctive, but on six of more, counting is necessary. Transferring this to
ringing, six bell ringing should be 'easy'. This is perhaps why I thought
then that the gap from six to eight is seems much bigger than the gap from
eight to ten.

Robin

PPS - We have forgotten to mention in all of this that 'home' was often
called 'right'. This must be from where we get 'wrong' but, in PB7, there is
no dodge where one bell is 'right' and the other 'wrong'.