[r-t] Crambo

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Sun Aug 6 05:21:43 UTC 2006

Dear mew (and everyone),

Probably we are just talking at cross-purposes here, and are basically
asking the same question.

The "logic" I am talking about in Crambo goes something like:

1. Stedman 5 is a beautiful in-course extent.

2. There is a general way of potentially going from an in-course extent to
a full extent (which in general might yield no solutions, one solution, or
many solutions, so far as I know)

3. Applied to Stedman 5, this way yields exactly one solution (even if we
_don't_ insist on it being a 5-part), and that's Crambo.

4. Ergo, Crambo is an elegant gem, well worth ringing, naming and
generally getting excited about!

That's all I meant by "logic".  (Incidentally very little trial-and-error
is needed in step 3.  Just the fact that one mustn't repeat the same place
notation immediately means that one has very little choice...  For sure FS
_might_ easily have done this).

There are lots of other in-course extents of doubles other than the four I
mentioned (most of them are just less pretty) - Richard Smith can supply a
list.  My question is: is it true that the technique of step 2 can be
applied to each of them to yield a full extent?  The fact that it can in 4
cases certainly doesn't prove this.  In principle one could answer by a
computer search, but I would prefer a simple argument if one exists (and I
think it might...)  Just because none of us can see such an argument
immediately doesn't mean there isn't one!  ;-)

all the best, ander