[r-t] Dixons Variation

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Fri Jan 27 23:31:26 UTC 2006

> Church Bells 31/1/1880. Daresbury band rang on 27/2 720 Bob Minor (Dixon's
> Variation) 138 bobs, 6 singles, 6 extremes...

Thanks for that John, I found that very interesting.  I had no idea that
Dixon's had been rung at Spalding or Daresbury.  Where else was it rung, I
wonder?  I was introduced to Dixon's at Market Deeping a few years ago, by
Jim Haw.  Jim rang with Horace Day, and the other Deeping/South Lincolnshire
ringers of the 1920s and 1930s who rang many peals of spliced minor. They in
turn rang with the Law James guys, Richardson etc, who were well-connected
to Spalding.

> I would also suggest that the original Maxey "peal" was an extent - I
> think,
> from reading CB that this was what a peal of minor would have implied at
> that date and in that area. The peal board, as I remember it from some
> thirty years ago, records mainly a long length rung at the nearby village
> of
> Glinton.

Indeed - did you not see the picture of this on my website?
(http://ringing.8bit.co.uk/peal.jpg)

> Does the nomenclature as a "variation" exclude it from the normal rules of
> method construction?

That's what the article is about!