[r-t] Change Proposal to CC Decisions - on peal lengths

Barriehen at aol.com Barriehen at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 07:43:58 UTC 2006

graham at changeringing.co.uk writes:

However
previous generations didn't think like this and decided that  5000 was enough
on 8 bells and above. I'm not sure where quarterpeals fit  into the factorial
family either.

In terms of Surprise Maximus ringing 5280 was the norm until it was  realised
that a course could be shortened.   So here was the case of a  peal not
having anything to do with an extent , then being shortened by a device  which was
not approved of by many ringers, and which gained full acceptance with  time.
 Even after the first 5042's were rung they were for several  years regarded
as suitable only for Thursday night peals and full 10 courses  were rung on
saturdays.  So 5000 was not seen as the peal length in those  days.

I have been one of Grahams silent majority so far so feel I should state
that I support grahams proposals.
Perhaps the most radical idea I support is that the CC should be a  recording
body for historical purposes ( record all that is rung) rather than a  body
which expresses opinions on the worth of what is rung.  Although I  like the
buzz of whizzing around in Avon on a practice I still enjoy ringing  peals in
one or two new methods with cambridge above and BDGK falseness each  year.

Barrie