[r-t] Handbell Touch and minor principle

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Thu Nov 23 11:44:07 UTC 2006

Thanks for that Simon. I like the name Coal Minor for Nottinghamshire; I
guess we should have called it that in Doncaster too as we first rang it
within sight of the nearest pit.

Did you ever discover a reason for the difficulty with Forward? I know
it is hardly rung but the problem is interesting in its own right. Do
you know if it is actually impossible to get the extent or just very
difficult ?

I also recall looking at the simple extension from 34-34.16 to 36-36.18
etc. This gives a simple treble bob type principle where the bells make
3rds and 6ths either side of a 4-5 dodge. The plain course is 32 changes
and appears possibly to provide the basis of methods; eg 2nds at the end
gives a method with regular lead ends and the treble following the path
of the principle. My suspicion is that the degree of falseness in
methods based upon this principle would preclude much variety of
composition and also that the musical possibilities would be limited and
perhaps unusual. My theoretical knowledge is too limited for me to be
sure but I would be interested in any observations from members of the
list. No doubt this also has been looked at in the past but I can find
no record of it.

Ted