[r-t] Simple Principles

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Sun Nov 26 11:25:00 UTC 2006

Thanks to those who responded to my enquiries about even bell principles
and for compositions. I guess that simple constructions such as those
will always be considered from time to time and the fact they have never
really caught on for general ringing is perhaps evidence enough of their
limitations. I do however think that some simple principles have real
value. I have wondered why our composition and method design is so
focused on longer lengths when a key part of our ringing is the shorter
service touch, which one would hope would be musical. For many bands
simplicity is also a good policy in service ringing.

The simple principle, Saturn that is rung on five (3.1.3.5) seems to me
to offer excellent musical possibilities on higher numbers and has the
virtues (for short service touches) of musicality, simplicity and
brevity. Using bobs and singles alone (made as in Stedman) there appears
to be plenty of scope for compositions. For caters and above the
introduction of an extra call made in 5ths at the section end adds extra
scope for getting musical short touches. I have played around with this
on Abel with some pleasing results and wonder what others think.

Ted