[r-t] Calling Positions

rchat rchat at allton.org.uk
Sat Oct 14 11:30:56 UTC 2006

Generally speaking, the calling positions M W and H signify coursing orders
rather than specific place bells. We are now seeing more compositions on
higher numbers that regularly use other positions, commonly 7ths in Royal,
9ths in Maximus and so on to turn the 7th in. We are also seeing more
examples turning the 8th in as well.

Would it be sensible to have headings that reflect the coursing order
similar to MWH rather than defining each time in the rubric. I would like to
suggest 'S' for calls affecting 3, 5 and 7 (as the Seven is involved) and
'E' for calls affecting 4, 6 and 8 (as Eight is involved.

This would make the standard headings for higher numbers (for b group as
example):

2345678  S  M  W  E  H

The only difficult I see with this is do we use V or S in Major?

What do people think? Any other ideas?

Richard Allton