[r-t] Double extent of major

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue Dec 4 14:05:25 UTC 2007

Philip Earis wrote:

> If the requirement is relaxed to require merely a true double extent of
> treble-dodging major (eg Bristol, spliced, etc), are there any tricks
> that can be used to easily achieve this?

A true 80,640 in a single method is trivial.  Just transpose
a 40,320 for a plain major method for the right lead ends
and you're there.

Spliced isn't hard either, but you'd need to think of it as
you would normally think of minor rather than major -- i.e.
think in terms of course splices, 3 lead splices, grid
splices, etc.

If you want spliced, what are your requirements?  What sort
of methods do you want (and how many).  Do you want it atw?
You almost certainly won't be able to say: take these eight
methods and make me a composition, but you can certainly
provide guidance on methods.

Or... what about magic blocks?  (With a single half-way and
end to fix the parity.)

The possibilities are endless.

> This may not be of mere academic interest.

I pity the Pipes' carpet ;-)

RAS