[r-t] Big searches

Mike Ovenden mike.ovenden at homecall.co.uk
Fri Dec 28 22:44:48 UTC 2007

MUG minor: I presume you didn't find anything either, which makes me a bit
more comfortable with the negative result.  If I remember correctly, singles
didn't make any improvement in achievable length over what could be obtained
using bobs alone.

I used what MBD would describe as a rotationally sorted tree search, worked
in terms of the cosets of the group that forms MUG leads ([6.34] in Price's
catalogue) rather than individual rows, and pruned out the repetitive stuff
caused by the equivalences you describe.  Without the latter it'd probably
still be running.  The tree is ternary, but the constraint whereby a single
only follows a plain lead makes it more like a (1 + SQRT(2))-ary tree, which
is a LOT smaller!

Mike