[r-t] Runny compositions

Robert Lee rlee5040 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 19:39:32 UTC 2007

PJE:
>I wonder if this took
>inspiration from David Hull's composition of Fazeley Junction (on
>http://www.pealcentral.co.uk/), which has similar musical properties.

  Sort of. Since I'm at a loose end this evening, I thought I'd give a
bit of the background to Ho Ho Ho, which was the chance collision of
two separate ideas I was working on. I'd had a brief chat with the boy
Reading a couple of weeks ago about this, which he may or may not
remember ;-)

  As we all know, Slinky Differential provides a shift between cyclic
courses as the lead end is a different cyclic rotation of a Plain Bob
lead end (ie. 5432TE09876 as opposed to TEO98765432). I wondered if
it might be possible to come up with a regular method whereby a
different half lead change provided a cyclic shunt.

  After a bit of investigation, I discovered that from the half lead
end change 8604T23E5971, ET produces a regular lead end (TE098765432)
while 1T produces a lead end at the same place in a different cyclic
course (32TE0987654) - a cyclic shunt affecting a single change.

  This half lead change isn't ideal from the point of view of getting
long runs over the half lead, but notice it is a Plain Bob half lead
with the pairs in 7-8 and 9-10 swopped over. So if it works at the
half lead, it'll work at the lead end as well. This gives us a means
of getting between cyclic courses in any regular method with 'x'
either side of the lead head, replacing x1Tx (or x12x) with
3456.1T.3456 (at the point where the 7 is about to run out/make 2nds).

  That's the theory behind the composition. Now to find something to
apply it to.

  For peals on 8 bells, for maximising 4-runs it's necessary to use
methods maximising the number of coursing quadruplets. For plain
methods, there's Plain Bob or Double Norwich, but for treble bob methods
getting the maximum 16 per half lead is very difficult to obtain.
Edale Delight (x34x4x2x1x7x5x56x1, k) is the only regular method I'm
aware of that currently achieves this.

  While looking for a slightly more subtle way of achieving the same
effect, I considered the Alliance method 3.4x2x36x7x5.6.7, which has
the maximum 12 coursing quadruplets for the length of half lead. I then
realised this could be extended to the maximum of 16 by using pairs of
34/56 places across the lead head/half lead. Although this results in an
irregular lead end, it does not affect the regular coursing order (if
started from the snap).

  By doing this, the lead end becomes a regular lead end with the pair in
3-4 swopped. And hence, combining this with the above, a 18 lead end
call will take you to a different cyclic course. Then it's just a case
of adding the 8 blocks of 3 on the sets of 4 bells you want to include,
which handily comes out at 23 courses.

  Rob