[r-t] Naming methods & compositional devices

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Aug 1 23:36:35 UTC 2008

Why do methods have names?  Isn't it just to make
communication easier, so that the tower captain or conductor
can say "let's ring Cambridge" instead of "let's ring the
place notation x3x4x25x36x4x5x6x7x6x5x4x36x25x4x3x2
repeatedly until it comes round", followed by the inevitable
requests to have bits of it repeated or explained.  Humans
apply labels to things, and if we didn't already have names
for methods, they would be quickly invented.

So do we need some central way of tracking names?  Yes, I
fear we do.  (Though whether it needs to be in the current
form is another matter.)  If I visit a tower in America or
Australia and am asked to ring some Cambridge, I want to be
sure that what they are referring to is the same thing that
I call Cambridge.

But if I'm asked to ring Cambridge, it might turn out what
we don't just just ring a plain course.  Perhaps we ring a
half-course or a touch.  In these cases, what's being rung
is still unquestionably Cambridge, despite not being a round
block formed solely from (plain) leads of the method.  So if
Cambridge is a method, and touch of Cambridge with bobs is
still only Cambridge, then the bobs must be part of the
method, mustn't they?  Is just pedantic wordplay?  Perhaps.

However, if I go to a distant tower and ring a touch of
Cambridge during which the conductor shouts 'Bob', how do I
know what to do?  It's because I know that a 4ths place bob,
made at the lead-end is the standard bob.  If for some
reason the conductor wants to use a 6ths place bob, I would
expect to be warned about it.

Once we accept that methods have their own standard bobs and
singles, and that these vary from method to method, it seems
increasingly hard to buy into the Central Council's view
that calls are not part of the method.  Perhaps a better
model is that the name Cambridge refers to a family of
touches certainly including the plain course and anything
with standard lead end calls.  (By 'touch', I simply mean a
sequence of rows: I'm not implying anything further.)

Clearly there are some some touches that are obviously
Cambridge, and others that equally obviously are not.  And
there's probably a sizeable grey area in between.  At
present, the Central Council permits most of this grey area,
and a large area beyond it, to be described as Cambridge by
permitting arbitrarily many different calls in different
parts of the lead.  But simultaneously, some touches that
are obviously just Cambridge are not permitted to be
described as Cambridge.

As an example, John Camp mentioned peals of Cambridge Max
that finished with a 1T lead-head to allow a tenors-together
bobs-only 5040 instead of a 5280.  I imagine that most
people would agree that this is just Cambridge, and not
spliced Cambridge and Primrose.  But not the Central
Council: they don't allow that to be described as just
Cambridge.

So what is the answer?  Do we allow people to ring things
that differ arbitrarily from our everyday idea of Cambridge,
yet still call them Cambridge?  Or should we try to
prescribe what is meant by Cambridge and risk excluding
things that really ought to be permitted?

It might surprise people here that I actually favour the
latter -- but hopefully in such a way that the prescriptive
approach can actually become a descriptive one.  First,
though, I should clarify that I don't want a prescriptive
approach to what can be rung (in a peal or otherwise): just
to what can be rung under a given name.

Let's start off with a rule (by which I mean something much
looser than a Decision) that Cambridge means the obvious
piece of place notation repeated until it comes round.  Now
that's not a very good definition -- it gives you precisely
one touch, the whole plain course.  No good for a peal
(unless you happen to have 36 bells).  So we broaden the
definition: we change the rule to say that 4ths place bobs
are permitted at the lead-end.  That pretty much reflects
the de facto situation until the 1960s.

But since then, people have used other compositional devices
to achieve different effects.  These days, peals of Maximus
almost always have either a 1234 single, a 18 big bob at
before, or perhaps a 1T (plain hunt) lead end so that they
can come round in the middle of the tenth course instead of
ringing ten whole courses.  1234 singles are common on other
stages too.  I expect half-lead calls (probably 58 bobs and
5678 singles) have been used too, though I am not certain.
And if you look hard enough you'll probably find a few other
oddities.  So, perhaps we could augment our definition of
Cambridge to permit these specific types of calls as and
when we want to ring them.

I said earlier that by 'rule', I meant something much looser
than a Central Council Decision.  Clearly this sort of
system wouldn't work if we had to change a Decision each
time we wanted to ring something slightly innovative.  Half
the peal band would have died of old age before it had been
legalised, if indeed it ever was!  Clearly this isn't the
right approach!

The Central Council already has to cope with accepting and
cataloguing significant numbers of new methods.  So they
clearly are capable of dealing efficiently with new things.
Perhaps we should adopt the same approach to calls?  If you
want to ring a method with some new compositional device,
all you do is notify the Central Council (generally by means
of a peal footnote in the Ringing World explaining what it
is and introducing any necessary terminology) and it is
automatically permitted.

For example, I might produce a composition where, instead of
using calls, I start again from the beginning of the lead.
That would be absolutely fine, and if I wanted to, I could
describe it as a peal of that one method.  All that would be
needed would be footnote explaining that the composition
included 'restarts' such that (say) the last two changes of
the lead were omitted and a new begun immediately.

The Central Council's job is then simply to catalogue and
analyse the ways that people ring things.  With such a
system in force, the methods collections would additionally
contain a list of compositional devices used with that
method.  For most methods, this would probably just be a 14
bob, and perhaps a 1234 single, and so the method would be
annotated with something like 'b=14, s=1234'.  But for some
commonly rung methods you could end up with quite a long
list, e.g.

   b=14; s=1234; big bob=18; plain hunt=1T; non-standard
   bobs: 10, 3T; half-lead bob: 9T.

Perhaps sometimes the device isn't just a straightforward
call that can be expressed using a fragment of place-
notation.  Fine!  Write a sentence to describe it.  (And if
we can produce a generic way of describing things in a
computer-readable fashion, excellent!  But the absense of
one shouldn't be grounds for dismissing that whole style of
composition.)

Initially, the standard bob ('b' in the summary above) is
whatever was first intended when a conductor shouted 'Bob'.
Over time, tastes change, and once it becomes obvious that
most peals are no longer using that particular bob, the
Central Council can change what it records as the standard
bob.  (And I would anticipate the relevant committee coming
up with some algorithm for determining whether this has
occured so as to avoid a protracted discussion each time.)

After a few methods have been listed, it'll rapidly become
clear that there are some obvious trends.  b=14, s=1234 for
2nds place single-hunt methods is an obvious one.  And this
is something that the relevant committee of the Central
Council should be spotting and making up general rules to
describe.  Perhaps there will be a method that genuinely
doesn't fit this pattern (and I don't just mean a method
that has been rung precisely once and on which occasion 6ths
place bobs were used).  No problem: "unless otherwise noted
in the methods collection, the standard bob for a seconds
place single-hunt method is 14, and the standard single is
1234".

But, broadly, the Central Council should not be saying what
you can or cannot do.  Nor should it usually be trying to
invent and impose its own new naming conventions.
Generally, what it should be doing is waiting for
conventions to emerge and then documenting them.  And it
should be prepared to accept that sometimes, exceptions will
exist for historical rather than logical reasons.  So be it.

So could something like this actually work?  I believe it
could.  Rules are often broken for the same reason that
mountains are climbed: because they're there.  If you take
away a lot of the rules, you also take away a lot of the
incentive for breaking them.  Sure, from time to time
someone will decide that it's clever to ring a peal of
Bristol and call it Cambridge.  But you simply relegate this
to a footnote and say, well yes, it once happened.  It's not
going to be common.

I'm not advocating that the complete absense of Decisions on
methods and calls, however.  I've already suggested that
decisions of standard calls are likely to evolve.  And I'm
quite happy retaining the essence, if not the details, of
the existing decisions on method classification.  (Though I
would remove all of the classes of methods that are not
commonly rung: Differentials, Differential Hunters, Hybrids
and Alliance methods that are not just Treble Dodging
methods with dodges omitted.  You could still ring them and
use these classes in their names, but you'd no longer be
required to.)

I might consider adding a decision saying that if a touch
could be described as one method with standard calls, you
couldn't use it to name another method.  So you can't ring
Middleton's Cambridge and name it something else with silly
calls.  But equally, perhaps this should only be introduced
if it becomes necessary: that's more in the spirit of what
I'm suggesting.

Clearly this is nowhere near a proper proposal: it's little
more than a vague outline.  But the fundamental idea is that
you have minimal rules and live in a state of organised
anarchy.  On the one hand, ringers are constantly
introducing new rules (in the form of new styles of
composition) in a kind of nomic; and on the other hand, the
Central Council's committees are imposing limited order on
those things that are frequently rung.

There are lots of other things I haven't touched on:
multi-method peals, Dixons, magic-block peals, method
extension, and so on.  But I would advocate a similar
approach to each of these: start with an attitude of
'anything goes', and then apply minimal rules as and where
necessary.

So, if anyone's still reading this far down, how does this
sound?  A good idea?  Or a naïve anarcho-syndicalistic
utopia?

RAS