[r-t] Provisional records, was New methods

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sat Aug 2 00:03:23 UTC 2008

Philip Earis wrote:

> The only thing I agree with you about is that your
> proposal is not thought out. It's a stinker.

Actually, Philip, I'm surprised you think that.  Take a bit
longer to read Ted's thoughts through.  There are few
unfortunate choices of terminology, particularly
'provisional' for the list of methods that don't fit into
the framework as it stands at that point.  But broadly, as I
interpret his suggestions, especially after reading his
follow up replies, I think they're heading in the right
direction.  And I think you probably would too, because, if
I were to sum up my understanding of his proposals in one
sentence it might very well read:

> THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THE DECISIONS SHOULD BE TO CLASSIFY
> WHAT CAN BE RUNG, NOT TO PROSCRIBE WHAT IS 'VALID'

If you can face reading the long email I just sent, do give
it a go.  I think my suggestions and Ted's are actually very
similar, though I've expressed them in a rather different
way.

RAS