[r-t] Further question on multiple covers

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Aug 8 18:21:49 UTC 2008

I believe the Norwich Axioms would consider the following a perfectly
reasonable, though tedious, little, plain caters method, with the
usual palindromic symmetry.

9.189.9.189.9.189.9.189   le 127 [135274698]

Consider the following touch. It's not peal length, but could easily
be extend to be.

23456789  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
_____________________________
52436789  x  s  s  s  s  s  s
35426789  x  s  s  s  s  s  s
42356789  x  s  s  s  s  s  x
_____________________________
Repeat twice.
x = 149.
s = 129.

Imagine ringing it at a ten bell tower, with the tenor covering.

My understanding of MBD's thinking on covers and the Norwich Axioms
says he'd accept this as a peal (modulo length, of course). Please
correct me if I've misunderstood.

But if I ring a peal of Plain Bob Major on this same ten, to the same
standard, with two covers, it's not a peal. Even though it might
contain exactly the same ten bell rows, rung in exactly the same
order?

Have I missed something?

"I'll grant you it's obvious. Trouble is, just because
things are obvious doesn't mean they're true."
                        -- Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_