[r-t] Peal lengths [was Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something]

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Aug 10 20:52:58 UTC 2008

Don writes,

> If they'd said even on higher stages it needs to be at least 5,040 we'd
> not be having this part of this discussion. But they didn't, and I doubt
> anyone would seriously suggest raising at this late date the lower limit
> on peals of major, etc.

No-one's suggesting this Don.

What I am trying to say is that the decision to adopt 5000 and above for
Major, and stick with 5040 for Triples and below, has an elegance and a
rightness to it. Bringing everything down to 5000 is just too reductionist,
and would lose our beloved factorial, rightly respected through the ages.

Does no-one other than me see the beauty of this two-length system?