[r-t] New ideas in 23-spliced - pivot bell part

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Sun Aug 17 17:52:44 UTC 2008

I've been having a bit of a think about new things to do with 23-spliced
major compositions, and a couple of separate thoughts have coincided
nicely...

The first thought is that it's nice to get all 12 leadhead groups included
in a composition of 23 spliced treble-dodging major. Not many compositions
have this property - Smiths is missing a,e,h,k,l  whilst Chandler's is
missing a j-group method.

Paul Needham's 100-spliced atw composition had all 12 groups in, and I
think John Leary's does also (I can't seem to find this anywhere on line -
if some could email the details that would be great).

The second thought is that it might be sort of interesting to have a
23-spliced composition where all 23 pivot-bells come consecutively in the
same part.

Pursuing the second aim, it quickly becomes apparant that you are pretty
constrained to using two courses (place bells the leadhead group takes you
to listed)

8 A
7 L
6 C
5 J
4 E
3 G
2 M

and

2 M
3 B
4 K
5 D
6 H
7 F

Now the (perhaps logical) good news it that together these courses contain
one lead of each lead-head. It's a sort of an interesting analogue to the
Pipe cyclic maximus construction, where the 2nd and tenor in each part
alternate between ringing pivot bells.

Anyway, a composition starting "before, home" will immediately get through
these two courses and consequently all leadhead groups.

All that it needed now is to find a suitable cyclic calling structure that
will give a 23-lead part. Drawing on both
<http://www.bellringers.net/pipermail/ringing-theory_bellringers.net/2007-August/001784.html>
and Ben Willett's website applet at
<http://www.benjw.org.uk/cgi-bin/cyclic.cgi> after a bit of playing around
I settled for the calling structure BVHFFB.  This gives the whole plain
course at the beginning of each part, and brings up 17823456 as the first
part-end immediately after the 2nd bob before.

This therefore gives the lead structure:

M-
H-
F-
E-
E-
M-

With this, and very quick bit of playing with SCAMP
(<myweb.tiscali.co.uk/saddleton/software/scamp.htm>) I put together the
composition below. I'm sure it can be improved on without much
difficulty...

A  Lancashire S
L  Cornwall S
C  c&-34-4.5.2.5.6-2-45-36-7
J  j&-34-4-25-6-2-45-36-7
E  Sulfur S
G  Primrose S
M- Noviomagus S
B  Superlative S
K  Norfolk S
D  Sussex S
H- Essex S
D  d&-5-4.5-5.6-2-23-4-3
H  h&-36-6-5-36-34-345.6-6.5
F- Northampton S
A  Stanton S
L  Malpas S
C  c&-56-4-5-36-34-5.4.36.4.7
J  Tavistock S
E- Willesden S
E- Buckfastleigh (or Silchester) S
E  Chesterfield S
G  Glasgow S
M- Bristol S

Contains 52 out of the 96 run rows of each cycle.