[r-t] History question

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 19:29:50 UTC 2008

The idea was put forward as early as 1843 Sheffield, in a 5600 of
'Hudson's New Light' ie leads of both Kent & Oxford.But from then on,
when the idea was eventually put into more frequent practice, I think
that they were always known as 'Variations'
Schofield (1867) produced several comps where Kent is rung but with
Oxford leads to keep 7-8 out of the Slow. (Later this became known as
'The Worcester Variation')
Edward Gobey introduced 'The Ilkeston Variation' being Kent with bobs
at MWH & one lead of Oxford again to keep 7-8 from the Slow.
I think Ernest Morriss introduced 'Liversedge Variation' being
'Ilkeston' but with two bobbed leads of Oxford. H.Law James introduced
other variations called Gonville, Cam & Granta really being Kent with
spliced little methods acting as shunts. This stuff was rung quite a
bit in the early decades of 20th century. However, in every case, I
don't think that any of it was thought of or referred to as being
'spliced'. In the 1970s when they were discussing accepting peals of
half-lead spliced, I pointed out to Central Council Member, Frank
Price, that we already had this in these Kent/Oxford Variations, but
he shot me down by saying that these were thought of as 'Variations'
with change of method made when Treble was in 3-4 down. I didn't
understand his argument but there we are.

Eddie