[r-t] Proposed definition of a peal

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Aug 6 13:06:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> A Stage is defined as the number of bells being rung to changes, excluding
> any cover bells.
>
> Variable cover is treated as ringing at the higher stage.
>
> In mixed stage ringing, each stage is considered separately.

I'm not sure what the context of this message (which is quote above in
its entirety) is. Is it an explication of one or another views that
others have expressed? A proposed improved wording? An alternative
view being propounded? Something else? A mixture of some or all of the
above?

However,

I believe what you've said corresponds exactly to what my proposal
defined, if we leave off the fine point that "cover bells" implies
they can only go last.

It continues to be more liberal regarding the truth of mixed stage
performances at higher stages. Assuming that you saying the above is
an assertion that you think this is a good idea, that means that all
three of us (you, Iain and myself) that have spoken up on this matter
so far think such liberalisation is a good idea. Perhaps I was too
pessimistic about the acceptance of such a change.

"Ah! don't say that you agree with me. When people agree with me I always
feel that I must be wrong."                                  -- Oscar Wilde