[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

John Camp camp at bellringers.org
Thu Aug 7 21:25:42 UTC 2008

At 22:09 on 07 August 2008, Mark Davies wrote:

> We need a vote thingy - anyone got one handy?

Not a very representative group, though.

> There's a good chance, in the long run, of getting the ringing
> community to accept completely liberalised method classification.

I doubt it.

> But I think it would be a cold day in hell before most peal ringers
> would accept "anything as long as it's 5000 changes".

But here, as an amateur among professionals, I agree totally with
Squiff.

People want some sort of rules.  (Why 5000 changes, anyway?)  Does
anyone think that 20 20 cricket is cricket?  Possibly.  It has some
rules which resemble those of proper cricket.  But why have wickets?
What if the pitch is 30 yards long?  Or 10?  And what about a
double-sized ball?

At what point doers cricket cease to be cricket, or baseball baseball or
change-ringing change-ringing?

JEC