[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Aug 8 12:49:37 UTC 2008

Mark Davies wrote:

> I think it would be a cold day in hell before most peal
> ringers would accept "anything as long as it's 5000
> changes".

Yes, I appreciate that.  And that was the purpose of the
email I sent yesterday in which I proposed a list of
additional requirements (the 'Recognition' section) that a
peal must satisfy in order to be recognised.

One of the fundamental problems with the existing decisions
is that many of the things that are excluded are not
immediately obviously excluded.  It would be easy to read
the decisions and not appreciate the problem with 1T bobs in
Cambridge Max unless you were specifically thinking about
that.  This is because the definitions have been worded to
reflect precisely what the MC wanted included at the time.
It therefore means that most people who read the decisions
have no idea what they exclude, and also makes changing the
decisions a much harder exercise.

I want the decisions to start with the broadest set of
definitions we can produce, and then explicitly rule out
things.  That makes it easy to remove (or introduce)
restrictions, thus paving the way for further liberalisation
in the future.  And it makes it very clear what is being
prohibited.

Furthermore, as I said in the other email, it gives the
opportunity to engaged the CC in choosing what is and what
isn't permitted by selecting the proscriptions to be
included.  And by doing so, I think we significantly raise
the chances of a proposal being adopted.  (Though, like JEC,
I'm not particularly hopeful of any of it being adopted.)

RAS