[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Aug 10 22:51:17 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
> Well, I think even requiring whole leads is too restrictive.
> I can easily imagine wanting to switch stage at both the
> half-lead and the lead-end.

It's more than imagining. It's done today. While spliced Stedman and
Bristol is more commonly done now with the changes into and out of
Stedman at the course end, the earlier examples, and still some being
rung today, have the change into Stedman at a strange, fractional
division: the normal Stedman mid-quick-six start.

Or, if you prefer to think of Stedman as a symmetrical method with
that start as the division end, then the changes out of it are at some
weird point. Which ever way you think of it, you're not both entering
and leaving at the division end. Or even the half-division end.

"If the resolution of our vision were as poor as the resolution of our
olfaction, when a bird flew overhead the sky would go all birdish for
for us for a while."           --Daniel Dennet, _Conciousness Explained_