[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Aug 11 17:21:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
> The type of 'truth' you are talking about ceased being the
> whole story about a hundred years ago.  Ever since E. Banks
> James first produced a 2,160 of minor which didn't result in
> rounds after each 720, we have been moving inexorably away
> from your black-and-white model of truth.

Though, curiously, your own extent of Richard's False Course Bob Minor
(which sadly doesn't even show up in the CC's list of provisionally
named methods!) DOES fit Ted's stringent ideal what should be allowed
in a peal of minor, even if the CC won't accept (or whatever the
euphemism du jour is) a peal containing it.*

I hope you can take some wry amusement from that particular bit of
injustice.

*Come to think of it, they just won't accept it if you claim that's
what it is. They'd be perfectly happy if you rang it, but pretended it
was an especially complex extent of Original with four different kinds
of calls.

"Moralistic science is bad for morals and bad for science."
                       -- Stephen Pinker, _How the Mind Works_