[r-t] Candidate definition #10

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 12 17:15:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
> Martin Cansdale wrote:
>
>> What if B is one row long?
>
> Well, then B is incomplete.

I don't think this is correct. I think the block is true and complete,
but of stage 0. Where "complete" is predicated on the usual convention
that 0! = 1. But I'm near positive we should disallow stage 0 in some
fashion; it's a purely abstract boundary case having, I think, no
physical meaning.

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think we should
require stage >= 2 explicitly. Or maybe just stage >= 1, as I'm pretty
sure it is impossible to have a block with stage 1.

"So many things run through your mind when you're hiding alone
inside a periscope."            -- Umberto Eco, _Foucault's Pendulum_