[r-t] Candidate definition #10a

Iain Anderson iain.anderson at talentinnovations.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 19:47:56 UTC 2008

Don Morrison wrote:

> > [IJA] Peal length is number of rows, not changes.
>
> Well, yes and no. It's the rows that are distinct, and there
> need to be 5,000 (or however many) of them. If you count all
> the rows on either side of the 5,000 changes it's usually
> going to be false. You can only count the rounds at the
> beginning or at the end, not both.
>
> If you added the requirement that a peal has to be preceded
> by rounds or followed by rounds you'd get the exact effect
> you want, I think.

I realised the moment I hit the send button that I was being a first class
muppet.

There is no problem in the normal case when it starts and ends in rounds.
But, as you have started to hint, there is a problem if you don't start and
end in the same change.  The 5038 changes of Grandsire that was rung in
Birmingham would now be legal, but would be 5039 rows of Grandsire (or would
it?).  I would be very interested in starting one blow earlier than them so
that you get all 5040 rows, but only 5039 changes.  What would the length be
there?  I assume 5040, which is fine by me, but I suspect not by everyone.