[r-t] Historical purity

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 13:10:26 UTC 2008

"Historical purity": I never remember using this phrase because I don't
happen to agree with it. Just some more PJE wishful thinking. As is his idea
that the decisions say this or that is allowed - they may have done once,
but now they merely say where to put them!

Graham - the MUG methods were withdrawn before 2002, but I don't know when
precisely.

Singles were not exactly forbidden in TD methods, but were 'deprecated' -
see the introduction to the CC Pub. "Collection of Universal Comps.". The
'restriction' went in 1969. I remember calling WsW in Cambridge Minor at
Codicote in the late '80s and the treble ringer would have stood here bell
if it hadn't just come round.

I see there's a variable-hunt peal in this week's RW - this used to be a
source of controversy too!

Don said: "I'm pretty sure most ringers would find ringing the method that
has thirds after the lead end (Grandsire) would feel in practice like a
different method than ringing the one that has thirds before the lead end
(New Grandsire). And the calls are going to feel different, too." This
applies to the method which is commonly called Cloister(s) - two bells hunt
to 3rds - and you have a choice of any two of 1, 2 or 3.

Best wishes
Robin.