[r-t] Odds and ends

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Sat Jul 19 05:06:54 UTC 2008

Once again, Mr. Earis really needs to check on the facts before rushing into
print. My dictionary gives the definition of 'radical' as 'innovative or
progressive'. I imagine he would prefer to be called radical himself and not
the members of Methcom. (This is the OED, so perhaps the Cambridge
Dictionary is different.)

The word 'deprecate' was not in the pre-69 decision - I used it myself as
short-hand for the original decision which was, seemingly: "Only one type of
bob and single may be used in any one composition. Singles in Treble Bob
methods may be used when a desired result cannot be obtained by bobs". I
used the word as I had seen it in an HTML definition document - a modern
enough source, I thought.

Since Mr. Earis declares himself to be against innovation and/or progress,
he will no doubt wish to return to the days when composers would do anything
in their power to avoid the use of anything other than bobs. He does seem to
advocate obsolete methods in his writings.

Just a casual glance at any turn of the (19th/20th) century will show that
in the then most popular methods, Plain, Grandsire, Stedman, there are many
peals, especially on the higher numbers for the latter two, containing no
singles at all. Just one example will suffice. In the 1975 reprint of
'Ropesight', there are 22 compositions of PB8. 11 have no singles  and four
are of the 'single ½ way and end' variety. Grandsire and Stedman are
similarly 'blessed'.

I've had this discussion privately with Eddie Martin several times over the
years - usually on what constitutes a 'good' peal of Stedman for the
'antients'. My contention was that, if a composer could come up with a
composition with fewer calls overall, or just fewer singles, it would have
been regarded as a 'better' peal. To put more calls, and more types of calls
in one composition would, at one time, have been seen to be a backward step.
Eddie points out that fashions change. They also come round again.

Best wishes

Robin