[r-t] Calls

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Wed Jul 23 09:26:22 UTC 2008

In many ways, the MC has been blamed for what has gone on, in some cases,
many years before.

In 1893, the "RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO CALLS" stated that "The object of a call
is to introduce a fresh coursing order, without disturbing the regular work
of more bells than is necessary." This document was signed by three
"non-entities" C. D. P. DAVIES, C. H. HATTERSLEY and J. W. WASHBROOK.

>From 1903 we read : "No bell shall strike more than two consecutive blows in
any one place."

The Methods Committee was not founded until 1907.

What many correspondents have missed is, that if you want to change things,
it's a good idea to show that what you propose is at least as good as the
current situation. It doesn't help if you stand up at the CC meeting and
insult other members. You may not agree with their ideas, but one of the
reasons a motion was lost last year is, I'm sure, down to who was seconding
it! (I voted for it anyway - personalities show override what is correct).

I have a CC handbook from 1978. The Decisions on Peal Ringing and Methods
are substantially what they are today. The only significant changes are
'Variable Cover' which no one rings now, Uncovered odd bell methods - which
people do not usually set out to ring except at Basingstoke and Covered
even-bell methods - which is rung less frequently than the latter. I don't
believe there are any members of the committee who were on the Council then.

Notwithstanding what has been said concerning the '1st' Variable Cover
recognition decision at Cambridge, this business shows that an awful lot of
members time was take up with something which, as I've said before, no-one
seems to want to ring anymore. Proponents of change must show that the
Exercise really needs their ideas and they will be a highly positive
benefit.

Any progress with post 2002 non-compliant non-published peals list? Also,
how many Variable Cover peals have been rung in total?

b.t.w., someone said methods are seen differently by mathematicians. The
ordinary ringer in the tower sees the sunlight blinding them whilst ringing
as different from the magnetism which he resets his max/min thermometer
every day and as different again from that which makes Radium dangerous to
handle. To a mathematician, they just different aspects of the same thing.
So is Grandsire and New Grandsire. They look different, but are still the
same.

Best wishes
Robin.