[r-t] Replies & Comments

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:26:32 UTC 2008

2008/7/23 Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk>:

> Richard: You're quite right about the peal in 1690 - it's not certain it
> was
> rung, but might have been. (I seem to remember the details you give are
> what
> I remember too).

They knew enough about composition for it to have been composed before
Tintinnalogia was first published, but they wouldn't have had anybody
calling out the various singles, they would have been carefully watching for
the relative positionings of various hunt bells. The  idea was to keep
ringing plain humt on N bells, and when the whole hunt was at lead,
gradually ring the extent on n-1 bells. Thus Plain Bob's 2nds place was
there to move the half hunt (say the 2) At the course end when 1 & 2 are
together again, places in 1-2-3 would move the quarter hunt (say the 3)
Again, when eventually the hunts were all home, two different singles would
be used, the first to move yet another hunt (when this comes home you get a
1680 whuich may well be the 1680 mentioned in the Tintinnaloguia as being
the longest length yet rung) The full extent is obtained by finally ring
extream changes on the last 3 'extream bells'

> Grandsire: the impression I get from my reading is that the bobs and
> singles
> were just part of the method when Robert Roan constructed it. It would have
> been learnt as a complete peal - i.e., a complete 120.

Yes

> Somebody mentioned bell control. Just remember the first whole wheel isn't
> attested before 1649, three-quarter wheels were the norm which do not give
> the required control to ring much more than simple hunting, so this is one
> of the reasons why plain changes were rung. John Eisel remarks in vol 1. of
> the History that it is difficult to know whether the improvements in wheels
> led to the growth of change ringing, or the desire to move on with change
> ringing led to the change in wheels. Until c1575, half-wheels had been the
> norm. As always, it's likely to be a mix of both.

I tend to favour that interest in ringing changes led to the change,
otherwise why bother altering a perfectly practical device?
Again, Tintinnalogia gives us a hint in telling that the effect of a full
wheel (to give a sally stroke) can be had by fixing a spur to the main spoke
of the 3/4 wheel, or of tying a piece of string (or fillet) to the wheel,
either one draws back the rope which if then allowed to run across a pulley
in the floor, will produce a sally stroke

Eddie Martin