[r-t] Elegant unrung methods

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Mon Jul 14 04:48:25 UTC 2008

> Has the very neat doubles method (&5.1.2.1.2, 1) been documented anywhere
> previously? This is a very simple way of generating the extent (eg 3*ppbb,
> b=145)
>
> Alternatively its reverse: (&5.4.5.1.5, 4).

I have to say this doesn't seem so exciting.  It's a plain doubles method,
so it's no surprise that there's a simple extent.  The reverse is a bob
lead of Wainfleet Place.

> They are also iterative ways of getting the extent - in some ways a logical
> "extension" of firstly plain hunt on three and then Reverse Court (or Single
> Court) Minimus.

When I first learned about change ringing but had no idea what people
would actually consider worth ringing, I came up with the following
"iterative" way to get the extent on any number.

E.g. on 7:

method=34567.4567.34567.4567.34567.567
b=67, s=7, e=1, in place of 567

A[pppbpppbpppbpppbppps]