[r-t] Elegant unrung methods

James Hustler mcwomble at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 08:48:01 UTC 2008

2008/7/13 Philip Earis <pje24 at cantab.net>:

> Has the very neat doubles method (&5.1.2.1.2, 1) been documented anywhere
> previously? This is a very simple way of generating the extent (eg 3*ppbb,
> b=145)
>
> Alternatively its reverse: (&5.4.5.1.5, 4).

It looks very similar to a batch of methods rung (in hand) back in
1973 by Susan Booth, Steven J Coleman and Peter J Scott.

I have a facsimile copy of Peter's notes from the time and a lot of
the methods are considered "illegal" by current CC defintion, in fact
this could have been the peal to cause the decisions in the first
place. Peter would certainly be able to say more, although I'm not
sure whether he's on this list.
>From what I remember, 240+ of the methods were squashed into the first
20 extents using a principle very similar to the magic blocks used in
the multi-minor peals that PJE et al were focused on several years ago
- albeit the blocks were significantly smaller.

Using it I came up with a quarter of 126 methods back in 2000/1 but
never got around to ringing or calling it.