[r-t] Grandsire Triples (was old methods)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Jul 16 14:11:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Ben Willetts <ben at benjw.org.uk> wrote:
>> Is it possible to have an extent of Grandsire Triples using only one
>> kind of call, which I presume would be some sort of funny single?
>
> I take it that it is not, then, possible to get an extent with just ordinary
> singles.  Why not?

I conjecture that it is likely not possible, based on none having
been published, to the best of my knowledge, but there being at least
one published by Eddie Martin that appeared to be trying to maximize
the number of singles used. But I really don't know.

But then, twenty years ago such a conjecture would have applied to
bobs only Stedman Triples, too, wouldn't it?

Certainly an ordinary singles only composition would be a better
solution than a funny singles only composition.

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful,
is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I
say that there is plenty more stupidity than hydrogen, and that
is the basic building block of the universe."       -- Frank Zappa