[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Fri Jul 18 05:58:34 UTC 2008

Matthew Frye:
"...so is there anywhere i could catch up on what exactly PJE's problems
with the CC decisions are? Perhaps something to back up the statement about
arguments being "complete rubbish" and "intellectually bankrupt". And more
interestingly, his suggested changes/replacements for the existing
decisions?"

Don did a very good job at outlining the philosophical objections. Basically
the decisions say "this is allowed" and "this is not allowed", based purely
on personal preferences and without good reason.  This becomes very
arbitrary. I'm at a complete loss to know why some people don't want to
recognise, say, methods with six consecutive blows. The reasoning seems to
be "They are unfamiliar (not currently rung much) and I don't like the
thought of them, so lets ban them". This is not a sensible framework to
operate from.

It would be easy but incorrect to take the Robin Woolley view assume that
the decisions protect the "historic purity" of what was rung in the past.
But a large proportion of methods featured in the classic ringing texts of
the 17th and 18th century fall foul.  Also many classic things ring by the
top bands in the 19th century (eg Stedman minor, first pealed in 1819 to a
Thomas Thurstans composition; Stedman major was first pealed in 1856
conducted by Henry Johnson).

And if you actually speak to Tony Smith (and others currently on the methods
committee), you find out that they are personally a lot more extreme than
the wording of the decisions. I could give many examples.

Matthew again:
"I think that you seem to be attributing a lot of blame to the conservatism
of the decisions where i believe that the conservatism of ringers in general
plays a far bigger role"

I agree that ringers can be very conservative (and I also fully endorse what
you say about Erin), but to my mind this doesn't mean that we should merely
do nothing whilst the current decisions are so unhelpful.  To give a couple
of examples about the power of liberalising decisions, I would say two of
the biggest areas where ringing has seen growth and innovation in the past
50 years are in compositions of surprise major (and above) being more
musical, and in spliced minor. Now interesting both of these had previously
been held up I think by former miserable decisions - I believe you weren't
allowed to have singles in surprise methods until (I think) the 1960s,
whilst multi-extent blocks of minor (with a couple of exceptions) were not
allowed until more recently.  When the decisions were removed, people really
started innovating, with great effect.

Matthew again:
"Are you seriously suggesting that all peals of Grandsire with singles (ie.
all doubles, practically all triples and a lot at higher stages) be
described as spliced? And is this the start of a campaign against doubles
variations?"

The point is tue current decisions don't even classify things well either.
Grandsire originated as a very neat half-extent of doubles. The tragedy was
that when people tried to reverse-engineer it to get a plain course, they
chose the "plain" leads as the plain course, instead of what we know as the
"bobbed" lead".  This has caused problems ever since. If what we call the
"bobbed" lead is used for the plain course, everything becomes so much more
elegant - you have conventional symmetry, the coursing order is preserved
throughout the course, singles only act over one row, and the method is
conceptually simpler and easier to ring (ringers tend to go wrong at
"plains" in my experience)!

Interestingly, I strongly suspect the proto- Tony Smiths screwed up the
definition of the plain course because in doubles a course of what we call
"bobbed" leads gives you what Tony would describe as a "differential
hunter", ie first lead head = 14523.  So this is another example of where
aversion to the unfamiliar has made things a lot worse.

Doubles variations also don't exist - these are half-lead spliced.

A couple of people have also talked about variable hunt cinques, etc.  This
is another failure on behalf of the method committee, firstly in the
reluctance to permit something, and then in that the description they used
is incredibly inelegant.  It is a lot neater to describe "variable hunt
stedman cinques" simply as stedman maximus.  But they felt unable to do this
due to six consecutive blows.

Robin Woolley ranting:
"...By the way, I look forward to the publication of the 'Earis Dictionary
of Synonyms' containing the entry 'Analysis = Recognition"..."

You are being very disingenuous when say this. Firstly from a practical
viewpoint this is not being followed (see Richard Smith's examples, I have
also rung several further peals since 2002 that the RW refused to publish in
any format and which have probable dropped out of the record accordingly).
Secondly, and more importantly, you seem to be saying there's no point
wanting to change the decisions because you don't have to stick to them
anyway.  In which case, what's the point of them existing at all?

Andrew Craddock:
"The issues faced by church bell ringers are, in general, quite different
from those faced by peal ringers.  We would be better served by having two
smaller organisations so that the issues can be discussed properly by the
appropriate people and not rushed through to accommodate a crowded agenda"

I pretty much agree with this.

Graham John:
"Everyone who criticises the current decisions underestimates the
difficulty of coming up with a replacement set. In practice, gaining
consensus on the detailed definitions is fraught with problems, as Don has
illustrated."

I agree you will not get complete consensus (there are seemingly a number of
ayatollahs kicking around), but I disagree that drawing up some replacement
decisions is difficult.  I think we only need to go to the lowest common
denominator of what is change ringing.  As such, the decisions need only to
be based around two words:

"true permutations".

Of course, you need to define true (for multiple-extent peals), and formally
define permutations. But that's about all.  Add in a couple of conditions
for peals (eg length - 5000+ changes would satisfy the lowest common
denominator approach), and you're there.

MBD tried to create some alternative decisions a few years ago.  Whilst they
were some improvement in places, I think he failed because he started from
the current set, and tried to tweak them. Them current decisions are already
an inconsistent set without an underpinning framework - I leaky patched-up
boat that is sinking, if you will.  Applying a few cosmetic changes won't
solve the problem.

Right, I need to go to work.  I've written this in a great hurry, and it is
already quite long.  But I hope you can see where I'm coming from.