[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 18:10:32 UTC 2008

This thread has moved rapidly into all manner of topics so perhaps I might
attempt to conclude the 'New Grandsire' part of it
(When you originally said that  'things are a bit quiet Philip, you
certainly stirred them up !!!)

I think that Don has put my case more clearly than I had.
It seems to me that IF a method is symmetric about the path of the treble
(or is a symmetric Principle), then merely inverting the Place notation will
surely result in the same thing, BUT, if a method (such as so-called Twin
Hunt methods) whose PN is NOT symmetric about the path of the treble is
inverted then you have a 'legitimate' (horrors) variation of the parent
method. Thus, in my opinion, 'New' or 'Inverse' Grandsire is as legit a
variation of the parent 'Grandsire' as is Reverse Grandsire, or Double
Grandsire. Unfortunately past Methods Committees have defined such methods
has having a Primary & a Secondary hunt which apart from the plain course
from rounds is pure bollox.. You can't set out the 120 of Grandsire Doubles
in Plain Courses where each bell in turn is the secondary hunt (with treble
as the primary hunt) so why adopt a maxim that decrees that you should? Even
in Triples, whilst it is possible to set out the 5040 in so many plain
courses with each bell in turn being the 'Secondary Hunt' the resulting
building material is useless unless you use in-course-singles (such as
Holt's, which do not alter the flow of + & - )
The 5040 of 'New' Grandsire Triples that I posted was an inversion of a
12-part of regular Grandsire Triples of my own. This thing had as many plain
lead q-sets as does JJParker's, but the commom or standard Grandsire single
was useless because as I have said, it can only be used to join 2 otherwise
bobbed leads and NOT 2 plain, nor yet a bobbed to a plain. However, a single
far removed from whatever is happening at the treble's lead, does make the
necessary links

Eddie Martin