[r-t] Odds and ends

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat Jul 19 11:45:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Ben Willetts <ben at benjw.org.uk> wrote:
> Robin Woolley writes:
>> Since Mr. Earis declares himself to be against innovation and/or progress
>
> Where?

On reading it I, at least, presumed Robin was referring to the
rhetorical device he had used in quoting Philip's use of the word
"radical", taken only one of its possible definitions and declared
that to be the one Philip had intended, and then pretended Philip was
calling himself a reactionary by so calling the Methods Committee
radical.

I find amusing how many commonalities there often are in people's
modes of public discourse when they are opposing one another's views.

"There is a large element of chance in these matters, and a second
chance occurrence, that of our own death, often prevents us from
awaiting for any length of time the favours of the first."
                -- Marcel Proust, _À la recherche du temps perdu_,
                   tr. C. K. Scott Moncrieff