[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Jul 20 10:58:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> Yes, I think people are concerned about how their peals appear in print, but
> in my experience people get much more upset about method names than
> composition descriptions. The method libraries rule, and they are a Methcomm
> product.

Interestingly that's not where they started. I believe that they were
originally compiled by David Beard under the auspices of a different
committee, Records, I think. But they were many years ago taken over
by the Methods Committee.

I don't suppose this really means anything. But it gives pause for
thought. Something like "if there were some separation of powers by
having the people interpreting the rules by compiling the collections
be different than the people creating the rules, would we a little bit
more give and take in this whole area, and bit less intransigence in
the face of proposed liberalization?" I don't know, but it feels like
there's something somewhere in this vicinity.

"History has a habit of changing the people who think they are
changing it.                                   -- Terry Pratchett