[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Tue Jul 22 19:26:04 UTC 2008

Eddie, me old cock, things have moved on: it's not the 17th Century any
more. We like to ring methods and compositions, and we like to keep them
pretty separate in our heads. We've changed since the old boys.

We also don't particularly care about Grandsire Doubles any longer; it's
just another method, with a plain course, like all the others. Exactly how
the extent is constructed is a matter of great interest, of course, but it's
not going to alter how we categorise methods from Doubles through Surprise
Major up to Differential Maximus and all the rest.

> I admit that New Grandsire is Grandsire inverted

If it was, and Grandsire had another place or two in the lead, why it would
be a different method. The trouble is, Grandsire is so homogenous in its
structure that Grandsire reversed is Grandsire rotated is Grandsire.