[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

John Camp camp at bellringers.org
Sun Jul 20 11:52:52 UTC 2008

At 12:27 on 20 July 2008, Don Morrison wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM, John Camp <camp at bellringers.org> wrote:
>> No-one seems to have wondered why singles couldn't be used.

> Was that because they thought of using them, but believed they were
> illegal or undesirable and so avoided them, or because the idea of
> bringing it round at the snap wasn't even considered?

I really don't know.  There were people in the band who were quite
capable of contemplating the idea of singles (John Fielden, Ricky (as he
then was - he lost the 'y' somewhere in the intervening years)
Shallcross, Neil Bennett, not to mention Basil himself and my late mate
John Nelson.  I have a feeling that Denis Mottershead was also in the
band, as this was before the great split.  I don't keep proper records,
but no doubt the peals can be found somewhere.)

But my own recollection (as a 20-year-old who hadn't really thought
about such matters) was that you just didn't have singles in surprise.
No-one questioned this.

John Camp