[r-t] Methods [was Grandsire/New Grandsire, etc]

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Tue Jul 22 19:18:27 UTC 2008

Don writes,

> The problem I see is you applying "change ringing" to a subset of what we
> do ...
> By appropriating the historical, overarching term for just a subset of
> what we you, undoubtedly without meaning to do so, apply a strong,
> implicit value judgement.

Ach, you're probably right Don. We're only arguing about names for things,
but I agree names are important. How about we do as you suggest, and adopt
"change ringing" as the generic term for anything involving bells being rung
in changing sequences - so that would include plain changes, dixonoids,
cylindricals, and jump changes.

But now having encompassed all these fields within the scope of
"changeringing", we need a new term for "ordinary" methods and ringing where
bells only move one place, like we are used to. So I propose "Real
Changeringing" or "Proper Changeringing". Is that OK with everyone?

:-)