[r-t] Methods [was Grandsire/New Grandsire, etc]

Martin Cansdale mjclists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 23:34:33 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Willetts <ben at benjw.org.uk>
Sent: 22 July 2008 23:51
To: ringing-theory at bellringers.net
Subject: Re: [r-t] Methods [was Grandsire/New Grandsire, etc]

Tom Willis:
> I would never refer to jump changes as "change ringing".

So, going back to Don Morrison's thought experiment... you're having a
country stroll through a village and you hear bells being rung in the
distance.  Your friend casually says to you, "is that that change-ringing
stuff you keep going on about?".  Do you say...

(a) Yes.  It's rather nice, isn't it?

(b) Err... hang on a minute; I'm not completely sure, there's a small but
not negligible possibility that they're ringing jump changes, cylindrical or
a dixonoid.  Wait a couple of minutes while I figure out if any bells are
being swapped in non-adjacent pairs.  Got any sheets of paper?

Ben

Oh, it's the opinion of the listener that's important? A definition of ringing that depends on whether me or Rod Pipe is listening probably needs more work.

MJC