[r-t] Extension

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Jul 25 21:09:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
>> However the source, if not in something silly like assembly language
>
> Silly? Assembly language silly??! Good lord man, you'll be telling us
> hexadecimal has no place on this earth next...

I grew up using octal, which my brain still likes better than hex. Of
course, I also grew up using a machine with a 36 bit word length. And
9 bit characters. Ah, those were the days. Maybe Eddie and I should
start a club.

And I suppose there is an argument that assembly language, at least
for a sufficiently simple machine, is an appropriate language for
describing algorithms--Don Knuth does it, after all.

"I'm on a stamp.... Not many living people are on stamps. And on
Burger King cups."                                  -- Ian McKellen