[r-t] Easter challenge

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Sun Apr 12 12:42:11 UTC 2009

Ted:
"I have played around with the idea of finding a rules based method
(Dixonoid, I believe is the term) that gives the extent of doubles, or
else (and preferably) the 60 in-course changes. Although I haven't
followed it through it was beginning to look impossible. Any ideas?"

Well, Ted, here are a few ideas...

1) Dixonoid Extent
All bells plain hunt, except that:
-2nds is made when the treble leads, except:
-4ths is made when the treble leads and the 5th is in 5ths place

2) Dixonoid in-course half-extent
All bells plain hunt, except that:
- 3rds is always made the handstroke after the treble leads
- Every other lead, 3rds is made the handstroke before the treble leads

3) Dixonoid in-course half-extent #2
- The bells in postions 1,2,3 do six blows of right hunting, then...
- The bells in postions 1,2,3 do six blows of wrong hunting

I'm not sure if any of these will catch on, though.  There are also more
examples...