[r-t] Easter challenge

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Sun Apr 12 20:32:45 UTC 2009

Philip Earis wrote:
> Ted:
> "I have played around with the idea of finding a rules based method
> (Dixonoid, I believe is the term) that gives the extent of doubles, or
> else (and preferably) the 60 in-course changes. Although I haven't
> followed it through it was beginning to look impossible. Any ideas?"
>
> Well, Ted, here are a few ideas...
>
> 1) Dixonoid Extent
> All bells plain hunt, except that:
> -2nds is made when the treble leads, except:
> -4ths is made when the treble leads and the 5th is in 5ths place
>
> 2) Dixonoid in-course half-extent
> All bells plain hunt, except that:
> - 3rds is always made the handstroke after the treble leads
> - Every other lead, 3rds is made the handstroke before the treble leads
>
> 3) Dixonoid in-course half-extent #2
> - The bells in postions 1,2,3 do six blows of right hunting, then...
> - The bells in postions 1,2,3 do six blows of wrong hunting
>
> I'm not sure if any of these will catch on, though.  There are also more
> examples...

Strangely enough I was aware of those examples, but I guess I asked for
some such response. Seriously, I thought that Philip or some one else
who understands these things might come up with something constructive
about methods based upon a consistent rule which is applied without
variation; e.g when treble leads make 2nds and 5ths and when 2nd leads
make 4ths and 5ths gives 84 changes. Is there a similar rule of the kind
"when this happens do this" that can produce the extent.

Ted